The host venue selection process for the 2022 European Championships is ongoing.
The European Championships brings together Europe’s very best athletes in an exciting new format with the full support of Europe’s free-to-air broadcasters
The first edition will be staged in August 2018, co-hosted by Glasgow and Berlin, and the second edition is planned for summer 2022.
The first step in the bidding process for 2022 is the distribution of the official Bid Information Document to interested parties.
The European Championships Board has expressed its preference for all events to be staged in one city or region in a window between late July and August 2022.
Image credits: European Athletics
The key highlights of the European Championships 2022
for a host city/region are:
- The opportunity to host 7 European championships with 13 disciplines across 12 days: Athletics (including road events), Aquatics (Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming and Open Water), Cycling (Track, Road/time trial, BMX, Cross Country Mountain Bike), Artistic Gymnastics, Golf, Rowing and Triathlon.
- Over 4,500 competitors contesting more than 170 gold medals.
- A projected 250 hours of host broadcaster coverage showcasing the city’s sports venues, landmarks and tourist destinations.
An anticipated 2,700 hours of television coverage broadcast on free-to-air public networks.
- An estimated cumulative TV audience of over 1 billion with many more opportunities to access content across digital and radio platforms.
- Millions of fans engaged on the road to 2022 across multiple social media and digital platforms.
- Approximately 700,000 spectators will have the chance to see the Championships in stadia, competition halls and at road and open water events.
- Attention from all the major media outlets with 3,500 media professionals expected to attend.
- A platform for a creative and far-reaching mass participation programme across all sports.
- Public, commercial partnership, educational, technology, cultural, sporting and economic benefits for the host city, region and nation, with strategic opportunities to utilise the European Championships in city regeneration and development programmes.
European Championships Management (ECM) is co-ordinating the selection process for the 2022 European Championships on behalf of the European Sports Federations.
The European Championships Board requests that parties interested in staging the 2022 European Championships email: EC2022@europeanchampionships.com to receive hosting information.
In the summer of 2018 Europe’s top athletes will compete in the inaugural European Championships – an exciting new multi-sport event bringing together some of the continent’s leading sports.
Tickets for both the Berlin 2018 European Championships and Glasgow 2018 European Championships are on sale.