European Championships Management is looking to recruit a Brand Manager based out of Nyon, Switerland, on a fixed-term contract in the lead up to the Munich 2022 European Championships.
Job Title: Brand Manager (80%-100%)
Employer: European Championships Management Sàrl
Location: Nyon, Switzerland
Reporting to: Director, Communications
Fixed Term Contract: Until 30 September 2022
Salary: Fixed for duration of contract (TBC)
Deadline for applications: Friday 13 March 2020
Interviews: Week starting Monday 23 March 2020 in Nyon
The European Championships is a multi-sport event featuring the aggregation of the European championships for several sports. The successful first edition of the European Championships took place in Glasgow and Berlin in 2018 and the second edition will take in Munich in August 2022 – on the 50th anniversary of the Olympic Games hosted in the Germany city.
Six sports that were part of the 2018 edition have already confirmed their participation and the staging of their respective continental championships in EC2022 that will take place Thursday 11th to Sunday 21st August 2022: Athletics, Cycling, Golf, Gymnastics, Rowing and Triathlon.
Eurovision Sport, a division of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), will again be the media rights partner for the Championships, ensuring extensive free-to-air coverage through EBU Member broadcasters and partners.
The majority of events and activities will take place in and around the Munich Olympic Park in order to create an extraordinary festival atmosphere that allows athletes from different sports to experience the event together and visitors to embrace multiple events.
A television audience of more than 1.4 billion watched the inaugural European Championships in 2018 on free-to-air channels via EBU Member broadcasters and partners in 44 territories across Europe and worldwide. There were 1.9 billion visits on websites registered and the reach on social media was 745 million.
Across the two host cities, a total of one million people attended a sports session at the likes of Berlin’s Olympic Stadium, watched a road race on the cities’ streets, or experienced the festival-like atmospheres in George Square in Glasgow and the Breitscheidplatz in Berlin.
The European Championships has been established under one common ‘’umbrella’’ brand. This brand identity unifies the sports through all pre-event and event-time materials, communicating a consistent and coherent message and ensuring a consistent and dynamic look and feel on-site, on air, in digital and print media, across all participating sports.
European Championships Management Sàrl (ECM), the creators of the European Championships concept and owners of the European Championships brand, are now looking to hire a Brand Manager with creativity, strong communication skills, an eye for detail and basic graphic design skills. You will be working closely with Host City Munich, the participating European Federations, Broadcast Partners, and others on the successful delivery of the 2022 edition.
This is a varied role requiring an agile approach and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. We are looking for someone who is self-confident and willing to quickly adapt and learn new skills in whichever areas may be required.
Key Role Description
- Management and coordination of all EC2022 Brand Guidelines and major broadcast materials for ECM and/or in collaboration with Munich 2022 (core brand guidelines, venue brand guidelines, venue look books, on-screen TV GFX guidelines, opening/closing sequences, music, broadcast package and broadcaster brand guidelines), ensuring creation, updating and distribution of all guidelines and materials to all stakeholders and others
- Management and coordination of development process and delivery of EC2022 medals and trophies
- Management of EC2022 brand approvals on all collateral created by Munich 2022 to ensure highest standards of look and feel in line with the core EC2022 Brand Guidelines: including but not limited to signage and venue dressing, all marketing and communication materials (city decoration, official publications, event website, social media channels and graphics, advertisements, posters, flyers, backdrops, pop-ups, menus, programmes, brand-related materials, medals, trophies, broadcast materials (promos, title sequences, maps, others, official merchandise, uniforms).
- Creation of specific brand assets for EC2022 stakeholders.
- Assistance in the preparation of and participating in EC2022 Brand Working Group meetings and other meetings involving ECM, the host city, participating federations, broadcast partners (preparation of presentations, logistics, etc.)
- Monitoring of use of European Championships brand design by all other stakeholders and in external publications and channels, distributing up-to-date materials if needed
- Management of brand design, production process and delivery of all collateral for ECM-led corporate events (e.g. Board Meetings, media events)
- Management of brand design, production and delivery of all ECM publications, websites, flyers, backdrops, pop-ups, menus, programmes.
- Photo Management: all aspects of photo management: dealing with all photo requests received from stakeholders and others, managing photo folders on the server to ensure all photos received are stored correctly in labelled folders, organising photography if required at ECM-led corporate events (e.g. Board Meetings, media events)
- Social Media/Website: Development of social media and website graphics for ECM.
- Other tasks as required by ECM Managing Directors and Directors
2-3 years’ post-graduate work experience in a creative position (marketing/graphic design/brand management) and basic graphic design skills are a requirement. Project managers with a creative flair and graphic design skills will also be considered.
Bachelor’s Degree/Foundation Degree in Brand, Marketing, Graphic Design or other art and design-based subject encouraged
- Project management – ability to build project and plans and manage suppliers, stakeholders, designers etc.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator software
- Strong understanding of print design, photography and organisational branding.
Other Skills, Personal Characteristics and Attributes
- Energetic and self-motivated “can-do” attitude with a willingness to take ownership and be held accountable
- Ability to work with a dispersed team and build successful working relationships across different geographies and cultures
- Excellent communication (oral and written), negotiation and influencing skills
- Strong personal leadership skills – self-motivated with ability to set clear personal goals, ambition and direction
- Ability to manage workload efficiently with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to quickly understand complex and ambiguous situations and provide simple and clear explanation and direction
- Sound decision-making capability
- Adaptable to change, pragmatic, delivery and results focused rather than status and role conscious
- Collaborative and team-focused approach
- High level of creativity
- German language skills an asset
The ECM Brand Manager is an important position in ECM’s team, and they will be expected to represent ECM in a professional manner with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels, including;
- ECM Senior Management
- Representatives of the Munich 2022 Local Organising Committee
- Representatives of the European Sports Federations
- EBU and Rights Holding Broadcasters
To apply, please email a cover letter and up-to-date curriculum vitae to ECM Director, Communications, James Mulligan at email@example.com